British Isles Explorer - London to Bergen April 1 - 18, 2023

Booked and ready to go. Added Iceland Post Excursion Tour as well.
Hello fellow cruiser. I started a Roll Call on Cruise Critic as well if you want to check it out. A few other people have posted there as well. We are from South Florida and this is a rebooking from Covid time. Looking forward to finally sailing again.

Hello fellow cruiser. I started a Roll Call on Cruise Critic as well if you want to check it out. A few other people have posted there as well. We are from South Florida and this is a rebooking from Covid time. Looking forward to finally sailing again.
Where in south Florida are you from? We lived in Sebring for twelve years.

Just north of West Palm on East Coast. You will love Viking, we went on Orion to Alaska (before Covid). So many great amenities, food, service, comfortable cabins, friendly people, etc.

We are on this cruise. Fourth attempt after multiple cancellations. Frustrating because the excursions have been substantially reduced—even from what is shown when you go to Viking Ocean cruises to preview this cruise for purchase. Oh, well. We love Viking—ships, crew and food all tend toward excellent.

We are on this cruise. Fourth attempt after multiple cancellations. Frustrating because the excursions have been substantially reduced—even from what is shown when you go to Viking Ocean cruises to preview this cruise for purchase. Oh, well. We love Viking—ships, crew and food all tend toward excellent.
With it still 3+ months out, maybe Viking will have more in the coming months. Many excursions can't be booked very early depending on room status you have - or our experience on river cruises.

Things change constantly and I know Viking has issues with "tour operators" thus issues with excursions they can offer. May have to work outside the box and look at Viator / etc and see what they offer; then compare to Viking.

The " included" excursions from Viking are very basic in nature anyway - mostly walking tours. If you want something more - then you pay for it, book thru Viator or some other operator, or do it yourself (which many do who may have prior travels to that port / location) or they are kind of like me - I research the location and see what suits me. Not simply what any cruise company offers. Probably cheaper too, since most cruise lines do make money off of excursions they offer.

I think we are up to about 4-5 flight changes so far and we're still months out. Unbelievable that Viking cannot get a direct flight from Atlanta to London. Of course they did the same thing on our river cruise that departed Amsterdam. We did find a direct flight on the river cruise 70 days out and got it booked instead.

I mean - going from Atlanta to Tampa, FL then to London. Now it changed to Atlanta to Charlotte, NC to London. If they need to use Charlotte, then we'll bypass Atlanta as we live almost same distance from Atlanta as we do Charlotte; so why drive to Atlanta, take a 1.5 flight to Charlotte, wait for 2.5 hours for our flight to London. I know as the airfare is part of the pkg, Viking is looking for cheapest flights - not best flights for it's cruisers.

C'mon Viking - step it up - it's what you promise to us and so we expect it.

Did you notice that that 4 days in Iceland is really 2 whole days there. Looking at my itinerary for flights - we get into Reykjavik in afternoon of Day 1. Then we leave Reykjavik on Day 4 in morning. And it's a pricey post excursion!

Any next Viking cruises will not be doing a pre or post thru Viking.

Did you notice that that 4 days in Iceland is really 2 whole days there. Looking at my itinerary for flights - we get into Reykjavik in afternoon of Day 1. Then we leave Reykjavik on Day 4 in morning. And it's a pricey post excursion!

Any next Viking cruises will not be doing a pre or post thru Viking.
I don’t think we’re on the same cruise. We are London to Bergen 4/1-4/15/23.

I don’t think we’re on the same cruise. We are London to Bergen 4/1-4/15/23.
I think there is only one cruise / ship in that time period from London to Bergen. You may not be on the "post extension" which would make it till the 18th, which we are doing.

I think we are up to about 4-5 flight changes so far and we're still months out. Unbelievable that Viking cannot get a direct flight from Atlanta to London. Of course they did the same thing on our river cruise that departed Amsterdam. We did find a direct flight on the river cruise 70 days out and got it booked instead.

I mean - going from Atlanta to Tampa, FL then to London. Now it changed to Atlanta to Charlotte, NC to London. If they need to use Charlotte, then we'll bypass Atlanta as we live almost same distance from Atlanta as we do Charlotte; so why drive to Atlanta, take a 1.5 flight to Charlotte, wait for 2.5 hours for our flight to London. I know as the airfare is part of the pkg, Viking is looking for cheapest flights - not best flights for it's cruisers.

C'mon Viking - step it up - it's what you promise to us and so we expect it.
I had the same problem and I called and talked to a Viking Air person and asked for direct flight. Ours leave at 10:20 PM. Call and asked!

I had the same problem and I called and talked to a Viking Air person and asked for direct flight. Ours leave at 10:20 PM. Call and asked!
When it gets to like 70 days out, we'll start checking MVJ to see what is going on! Shouldn't have to call and such - when directs are readily available when they book it. Viking takes great pride in the reputation, yet does things like this that makes zero sense. I don't know anybody who wants to have stops along the way - making what is about a 6-8 hour flight day into 12 or more. What does that tell a customer about Viking? Yes, there are times people have to make stops, but come on. ATL is the super gateway to Europe and having to fly 45 minutes to Charlotte, NC and sit around for 2-3 hours for our real flight is beyond stupid.

If Viking is going to claim being the best and 4+ stars - then they need to make it happen from beginning of trip to the end. It ALL matters.

Back