Is the Silver Spirits package worth purchasing?

Ali

Hi, We are new Viking cruisers and wanted to know if purchasing the Silver Spirits package was worth it in your opinion?

Ali

Hi, We are new Viking cruisers and wanted to know if purchasing the Silver Spirits package was worth it in your opinion?

Ali
We think it is. Based on drink prices we thought the break even point was about 4 drinks daily. (Prices may have changed since we studied this). You may decide to have a drink in the afternoon while sitting on the deck and also after dinner if you are enjoying the lounge. It includes a larger variety of wines, Bloody Mary’s , a selection of hard liquor, a variety of beers, etc. Not sure about blended drinks. I think it might also include coffee drinks. I love that there are no surprise bills in the end.

We think it is. Based on drink prices we thought the break even point was about 4 drinks daily. (Prices may have changed since we studied this). You may decide to have a drink in the afternoon while sitting on the deck and also after dinner if you are enjoying the lounge. It includes a larger variety of wines, Bloody Mary’s , a selection of hard liquor, a variety of beers, etc. Not sure about blended drinks. I think it might also include coffee drinks. I love that there are no surprise bills in the end.
We also purchased the liquor package. While not much in the way of drinkers we decided that while on an eight-day cruise if we wanted a cocktail or a bottle of wine we would feel comfortable ordering without wondering what the bill was going to be at the end of the cruise.

Many people are happy with the included drinks at meals and don't want more. Many others will spend much less than the cost of the Silver Spirit package even if they order everything they want. Others want more than the standard, but want to purchase it on cruise stops and bring it aboard (no corkage fee on Viking). Those groups shouldn't get the package.

Other cruisers want lots of drinks and/or expensive drinks. Others aren't sure of the cost benefit but like the fixed price. Those people should get the package. (But remember the price isn't really fixed. Some drinks generate an extra charge even with the package.)

We recently came off an Alaska cruise (highly recommend) and paid for the Silver Spirit package. Not because we are drinkers, but because it was easy, convenient and there was no bill to settle at the end of the cruise. I would also highly recommend the gratuity package as well.

one late-summer consideration is the potential to be off ship in hotels and/or restaurants on shore, due to low water. In that case, the silver spirits package may stress you out, thinking about what you are missing or how they might credit you for missed days (i'm sure they would, somehow). Just more to consider these days!

We've always purchased the package. It's about $20 a day. Even though you do have unlimited wine/beer with the cruise price, we have found that we like to do the better wines on the wine list. It gives you the chance to try local wines that are on the list. Also, we will usually have a cocktail before dinner and maybe a cocktail at the theater or one of the lounges (Ocean Cruise). Not so sure if it's a good idea on the River Cruise. There, I have purchased local wine to bring aboard and have even requested/suggested a local wine that was served to everyone the next day.

We believe the SSP is well worth the cost, you get the minibar to restocked, you get upgraded wine at Chief's Table, you get discounts on high-end bottles of wine if you decide to order at dinner, and get discounts to drink classes offered plus drinks before the show and the bars on the ship.

We believe the SSP is well worth the cost, you get the minibar to restocked, you get upgraded wine at Chief's Table, you get discounts on high-end bottles of wine if you decide to order at dinner, and get discounts to drink classes offered plus drinks before the show and the bars on the ship.
Mini bar restocking is related to grade of cabin, not the silver spirit drinks package.

We have done it both ways. It really depends on how much you drink. If you think that each of you will drink 4 or more extra alcoholic beverages per day then go for it. The "house" wines have always been good. Water, soft drinks coffee, tea, etc are available all of the time. Some cabins on Ocean cruises have mini-bar included

We like it for the upgraded wine options, and the ability to try new cocktails that we’d never buy all the ingredients for. Or new spirits in general

Ocean or River - river cruises you are gone from the ship for the better part of the day - Ocean - if you have at sea days - both of these could impact how much you drink. Both in you cabin must get the SSP - so if only one of you drinks more then the included beer and wine it might not be worth it. I drink rum and coke - on our river cruise November 2022 - one was $6.50 - so unless I have 3 every day - it's better for me to just pay as I go along (not really pay - they add to your room bill) - just my opinion

I would like clarification on premium wines included in the package, which mentions ordering wines by the glass at dinner. I would be most interested in the package if I could just order a premium bottle at dinner and bring the unfinished bottle back to my cabin. When combined with the occasional cocktail and specialty coffee, the package would definitely be worth it.

The link you provide states a 30% discount on bottles of wine over $50, implying that bottles under that price point qualify for the package. Still don't know if you can order by the bottle.

We like it for the upgraded wine options, and the ability to try new cocktails that we’d never buy all the ingredients for. Or new spirits in general
Is it only premium wines by the glass, or can you get a premium bottle under $50 delivered to your table?

Back